October 07, 2011

Think Different. Think Eternity.



Today, a great man passed away and the whole world mourns. Yet everyday, many die unnoticed. It is the life we live that makes the difference in our death. Steve Jobs lived in such a way bent to make a "dent in the universe". His life and accomplishments as a revolutionary, a genius, are perhaps immortalized in the minds and hearts of many, whose lives have, in one way or another, been changed because of his creations.

And yet I wondered, in a week or two, his death will just be yesterday's news. Perhaps, his name will be estranged to the generations to come. He will just be another man who lived and died. Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. (James 4:14) All his accomplishments, great as they may be, will one day be obsolete. Forgotten.  I do not wish to demean Steve Jobs nor belittle his legacy. If anything, he is admirable for his passion to challenge the status quo, to "think different". But everything does come into perspective in light of eternity. Think eternity.

Today, I choose to live a life of eternal significance. I may leave this world someday in obscurity, without a claim to fame, only to be forgotten. But I pray, I live my life passionately, making Jesus' name more famous. To live for His renown.

No comments: